Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Diiiiiiiiiiiiigo to bed

I'm starting to really like Diigo. I've been using it for all of an hour maybe, but I'm already realizing how curating my 7 tabs open at any given time can help me direct my research rather than bog it down and get distracted by side-quests.

1. Highlighting - I do this in my head anyway, but I love love love being able to highlight directly on a webpage. I don't understand why I'm enjoying it so much, but it's like a great part about paper things has finally manifested in my digital world in a beautiful way.

2. Bookmarking - I know I could bookmark using Google's built in bookmarking function, but somehow that seems cluttered, and I like to bookmark pages on my browser that I visit a lot, not an article for school. I don't want it filled in automatically while I'm typing. idk.

3. Saving Pages - I can save all those little articles that I'm just browsing for background info. Now they don't just become closed tabs lost in the ethereal world of my half-memory. Normally I disregard pages that aren't rich with helpful stuff. This way I'll be able to look at a lot of little things to build a bigger picture.

BOOKMARK'D


I think this is a great tool for academic research. I was thinking of making a wiki, and that might be better for further organizing information, but for right now I'm mostly trying to just round up a lot of information and highlight the heck out of it. Diigo is great for this.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to try this for my 495 paper. I usually just email myself all the links I find, which is bad because they got lost in the mass of all my other messages. Otherwise I make a GoogleDoc, which is good, but still not as compact as Diigio seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done that same thing! Emailing myself links is not the best way to organize sources.

    In my English 295 class we went to the library and had a day of learning more effective ways of studying online. They introduced Refworks (http://www.refworks.com/) which is free through the HBLL. It's super helpful with organizing sources as well as citation. Some of them it can cite for you and you just have to copy and paste! And check against the MLA handbook for accuracy, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete