Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Other Side of the Story-- Comments

I previously blogged about how it's important to research both sides of every issue. This week I've been thinking about how the comments at the end of a story or video provide balance. Whenever I read an article, I always skim through some of the comments at the end of the article, because 1. it's really interesting, and 2. I really enjoy reading what other people have to say about what I've just read. Inevitably, some will disagree, and others will defend the article. I often learn more about whatever topic it is by reading the comments than I did by reading the article.

Case in point: I have a Facebook friend who is very involved with Ordain Women. While I do not personally agree with that group's beliefs, I find it fascinating to read articles that this friend posts on her Facebook page. After I skim through the article, the best part is reading people's comments at the bottom-- some who are in favor of the Ordain Women movement, and others who are vehemently opposed to it. Of course, some people who comment are not good representatives of their beliefs. When I read many comments, however, I begin to get a better idea as to what each side's beliefs are.
I was reading one of these articles just this week, when I came across a comment with a link to this talk, which shows the Church's commentary on this movement. The talk was given clear back in 1992, but is incredibly relevant to all of the discussion going on now. I was able to share this talk on my Facebook page and share a brief sentence about my testimony of living prophets and apostles in the process.

I really enjoy how comments at the end of articles make it possible to see the other side of the story while reading a story about one side of the issue. Have any of you seen examples of this?

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if the general authorities would address the "Ordain Women" movement this past RS broadcast. I thought it was a relatively new thing, but my husband says that it's been going on for a long time! Thank you for posting the talk, it's always good to hear the apostles remind us that the Priesthood isn't just for the men, it's for everyone.

    ReplyDelete