Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Strengthening bonds with others through video games

I really connected with Dr. Burton's lecture today. Specifically, I really enjoyed him telling the class about how he and his sons bonded with each other by playing video games together. I have experienced similar bonding with my family as we play games. Our game of choice-- Super Smash Brothers, Melee.


My brothers and I specifically enjoy playing this game together. We have even created our own rules and traditions for the game. Our favorite version is to all play as the same character. Only the person who wins gets to move on to the next character in line. Whoever gets to the end first wins. My mom even plays with us on occasion, which adds to the fun. I enjoy playing this game with my brothers because it gives us a chance to spend time together doing something that we all enjoy. This is one of the only times that my brothers and I spend together. They are both more into sports, and I am your typical English major who enjoys getting lost in a good book. However, because we have this tradition, we have been able to connect with one another and have fun together as a family.


We talk a  lot about how digital culture can be isolating, but I think it's good to remember the positive sides of it as well. In my case, my brothers and I have been able to bond in ways that simply wouldn't have happened without digital culture. Have any of you had similar experiences with your friends or families?

3 comments:

  1. I think this is true in regards to all types of digital media. Facebook can be a great way to keep in touch with people, but it can certainly become addictive and people can have relationships that don't really exist outside of the internet. As long as we are trying to get something positive out of digital media, whether it be an app, website or video game, it can enhance our lives. We just have to use our judgement and keep ourselves in check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cheri! This is a great perspective. I have never had this type of association with video games because I never played with my family and my husband rarely ever plays. I was really glad to read this because I think it's really easy to say that video games can be a waste of time. But what's better than finding a way to bond with your family! Everyone wants that and I'm glad playing has been a meaningful experience for you and your brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your personal post, Cheri! Like Brittany, I have no connection with video games, whatsoever. That being said, my husband and his friends love to play for thirty minutes about once or twice a week. I know that some of his friends are a lot more involved with video games and I didn't understand why until Dr. Burton showed us the trailer of Bioshock. It really is like a virtual world! The lecture struck me as showing the effectiveness of bringing people together but also the risks of alienation through addiction.

    ReplyDelete